Saturday, December 13, 2014

Genetic engineering: Taking away what makes is you you

If you think of someone you love right now, anyone, what do you think about? Is it about how perfect their nose is or how symmetrical their face is?  Do you think about how nice they are or if they have a bad temper?  Most of the time our imperfections are what makes us “special”.  Our unique talents and ways make us.  Now think of a world where everyone is the same. There are no longer any undesirable attributes or personalities.  That sounds like an awful place to live to me.  I don’t think we should eliminate imperfections by genetically engineering babies in a lab.  What keeps that from being any different than what Hitler did by selecting only blue eyed blondes were worthy enough to live? I don’t feel he had the choice to determine who can live or die. I see the argument to where we can eliminate diabetes and other medical conditions.  In a sense that sounds amazing if we could rid disease before it ever gets here, but I think things like this help define us. I also think the world would overpopulate if everyone could live to be 103. 


Sent from Windows Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment