Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Football is it worth it


Football and our culture is very much related that is why this sport will never change or die out. Football is a rough sport and it creates many injuries due to trauma. The hard-hitting and rough aspect of the sport creates illness that affects individuals after they retire from the sport. The controversy that is surrounding football is the chronic traumatic injuries caused to the brain after the players retire from the game. One of the illness surrounding footballs is the illness called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. This is caused by the chronic trauma to the head and creates protein goblets in the brain tissues of the brain. Knowing all this information why is it that people are still playing this game, maybe it our ever-demanding need to have football in our life. The cultural aspect surrounding football inhibits us to look past the injuries. Our love for the game creates this thin veil without considering the consequences of the game. So this made me come up with another thought. If you were a parent and your child wanted to play football. Would you let your child play or not? If it were up to me I wouldn’t let my child play. Because there is a lot of underlying causes that comes with football. The brain injuries are one thing but the chronic pain and treatments for these injures is another to. As a parent it is the job of the parent to do best for their kid. And letting them play football has a very every lasting effect. The effects are both physical and mental. To me football compromises a right to have a normal life and parents shouldn’t do this. If my child wanted to play football I would let them play at a more mature age. Because a young child hasn’t been full-grown and their development has been completed all the way. Football could affect this, so it is best that one plays football at a later age. Football is really a fun and entertaining sport to watch but it does bring in a lot of social dilemmas and a whole bunch of social cost. So what do you guys think is this sport worth it? Doesn’t this game remind us of the gladiatorial games? So should the game be allowed to exist? Should kids below the age of 15 be allowed to play?

2 comments:

  1. I agree that many will say that football can not change and still be football; however, I do believe that it can "die out." One man in the documentary League of Denial even said that if just 10% of parents realize that football is as dangerous as it is then it will cease to exist. I would never let my child play football because it is too dangerous. Since a child's brain is smaller than a fully grown adults, the repetitive trauma would cause more harm in them. In fact, I do not think that kids below the age of 15 should play at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on not letting children play until a more mature age, even then I am reluctant to allow any child of mine to play such a dangerous sport. to me the return just isn't worth it. I would rather my child have all their brain capacity and have an undamaged brain than the ability to play one of many sports. my family has always valued education over extracurriculars and i stand firm on that. sports are for fun and do build character and teach morals but there are better more effective ways to do those things. a child's brain is extraordinarily precious and I think it is irresponsible to put it in jeopardy for entertainment and fun.

    ReplyDelete